Housing options for individuals with disabilities depend on particular situations and the level of care needed.

Those who want to live independently should work closely with a Service Coordinator who can:

  • help determine an appropriate housing situation;

  • help to fill out applications for vouchers or apartments;

  • assist in finding roommates;

  • help put together a living plan to ensure success.

Similarly, those individuals who need more assistance and care should use their Service Coordinator to help them identify a properly staffed residence or an appropriate home provider.

If someone you know is homeless, shelters are available throughout the region. Again, it is important to call an MDS Service Coordinator if that person has a developmental disability. In an emergency, call 911 for immediate assistance.

Keene Housing Authority has an array of programs and services for individuals, families and seniors including Public Housing, Section 8 Voucher Program, Congregate Housing Services Program, and Resident Self Reliance Program.

Southwestern Community Services (SCS Housing Inc) has affordable housing units for both families and seniors in eleven different towns throughout Cheshire and Sullivan counties. Most rents include heat and hot water. You can check out apartment availability on their website.

The NH Housing Finance Authority promotes, finances and supports affordable housing opportunities and related services for New Hampshire families and individuals, and is a good source of housing information.